Owner and Game Developer / Will@AwakenGames.com / 909-496-1419
Big Bear City, California
My name is William Anderson and for over 35 years I've worked as
a game developer and senior game designer for some of the biggest
names in the gaming industry, from CAPCOM to Namco and Midway
Home Entertainment, just to name a few.
Owner and Game Developer
April 2007 - Present
Big Bear City, CA
I've been working in the video game industry for over 35 years, with
experience in the area of Project Management, Recruiting, Game Design, and
Product Development. I was former Manager of Design of Original Concepts
for NAMCO, Senior Game Designer for CAPCOM, Senior Game Designer
for Midway Home Entertainment, Virgin Interactive Entertainment and was
a design lead at Ready at Dawn Studios, just to name a few. To date, I've
worked on over 35 published games.
See some of the games I've worked on and my designs here: http://
- MagicByDzn@hotmail.com / Will@AwakenGames.com
Mission Critical Studios
Senior Game Designer / Investment and Business Consultant
June 2013 - Present
* VC and Investment Strategy Consultant.
* Business Consulting.
* Game Development Consulting.
* Studio Promotion.
* Senior Game Play Designer on many studio titles.
Other Ocean Interactive
Contract Game Design Consultant
May 2019 - Aug 2019
* Game Design Consultant.
Academy of Art University
Game Design Curriculum Consultant
January 2014 - October 2014
* Helping with Game Design Curriculums / Consulting
Game Designer, Development and Game Industry Consultant
April 2011 - January 2014
* Concept/Designer on Domino Rally (iOS)
* Lead Level Designer on Babes vs Robots (iOS)
* New business venture consultant.
Recruiter / Business Consultant
September 2012 - September 2013
In 2012 I was brought into GameRecruiter.com as a contractor to bring my
vast experience in game development to help recruit the best and brightest
talent in the world for their clients. Because I've worked in-house for decades
as a developer myself, interviewing/ recruiting and working alongside Product
Managers, Programmers, Designers, Artist & Animators and more, I have
gained a lot of experience in candidate evaluation. Also having professional
and personal experience as a product manager/ lead designer/ programmer
and artist I can better communicate back and forth the technical requirements
our clients are asking for.
Co-Owner and Senior Game Designer
August 2011 - December 2012
Big Bear Lake, CA
* Senior Game Designer on Melting Point for iOS/Android.
Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC
Contract Game Play Designer/ Consultant
September 2011 - October 2011 (2 months)
* Game Play Design Consultant on Sony Home.
Senior Game Designer/ Producer/ Industry Consultant
March 2007 - September 2010 (3 years 7 months)
* US Game Industry and Marketing Consultant.
* Senior Game Designer Cold Energy, Xbox 360
* Senior Game Designer Mumuhug Nintendo DS
* Staffing Consultant.
Contract Game Designer/ Development Consultant
June 2010 - July 2010
* Game Play Design Consultant.
* General Development Consultant.
Producer/ Assistant Producer/ Designer
April 2006 - March 2010
I created the Game Party franchise for the Nintendo Wii, which to date has
sold 5.62 million units.
* Game Designer/ Level Designer Game Party 4
* Producer / Game Designer on Vacation Isle: Beach Party, Wii
* Designer on Game Party 3
* Level Designer, Leap Frog NFL Rush Zone
* Designer on Game Party 2
* Lead Designer/ 3D Background Artist, Hotel for Dogs, Wii/PC/DS
* Project Producer/ Designer Midway's Game Party, Wii
* Assistant Producer/ Level Designer, Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams
* Assistant Producer / Designer Hard Rock Casino.
* Assistant Producer / Level Designer Scarface.
* Assistant Producer / Charlie Browns All Stars Baseball.
* Design coordinator/ designer
* 3D Environments Model Designer.
* Scenario, tutorial development.
* Text localization.
* FarSight's web site manager.
* Help with new product research and creation of new product pitch Power
Point presentations for the studio.
* FarSight’s pinball hardware engineer. Responsible for maintaining, taking
apart, reverse engineering and reassembling all of the real world pinball
machines for product research.
Ready at Dawn Studios
November 2004 - March 2005 (5 months)
* Game Designer on Daxter for Sony PSP.
* Responsible for level design.
* Character A.I and Design Coordination.
* Designed mini-online game system.
JGI Entertainment, Inc.
Lead Game Designer
February 2004 - September 2004
* Lead Game Designer on Shaolin Streets.
* Developed the game story and play structure.
* Helped with design of combat system.
* Worked with programmers on movement systems.
* Designed about four production level for the project.
* Designed Camera AI/ Character AI and Controls.
* Help with pitching the game concept to publishers.
Midway Home Entertainment
Lead Game Designer
March 2003 - August 2003
* Member of Midway’s company restructures team.
* Original lead world designer Gauntlet Seven Sorrows.
* Developed game structure and helped with story.
* Designed the over all world structure for the game.
* Designing player character and NPC combat A.I.
* Did competitive research work on other titles.
Eagle Claw Studios
Owner and Creative Director
March 2002 - March 2003
* Studio Founder.
* Created the game concept for Clown Combat.
* Lead Game Play and Level Designer on Clown Combat.
* Designed a 3D Game Development Tool..
* Studio & Project Promotion, Fund Raising.
The 3DO Company
Contract Game and Level Designer
March 2002 - March 2003
* Worked on Army Men Sarges War, X-Box/Game Cube.
Senior Game Designer
November 1997 - March 2002 (4 years 5 months)
I worked for Capcom for many years, where I was senior game designer on
Maximo Ghost to Glory and managed the game play design and design staff
for the product.
* Senior Game Designer on Maximo (PS2).
* Produced the game design bible.
* Helped with funding approval with Capcom Japan.
* Created the game structure and story plot.
* Designed Maximo’s combat system with Producer.
* Designed most of the in-level play mechanics.
* Designed 2/3'rd of all levels for the game.
* Designed the power-up management system.
* Worked on Character A.I. and Game Camera.
* Did final product tuning work.
* Recruited, trained and managed design staff.
* Helped with yearly performance reviews for staff.
* Evaluated and recruited outside Sound studio.
* Helped to design world builder tool for project.
* Evaluate and report on external Capcom productions.
* Responsible for new concept development.
* Pitched new concepts to company directors.
Manager of Design / Producer Original Concepts
March 1996 - September 1997
I joined Namco USA as Manager of Design responsible for coming up with
new concepts for the company and handle the transition and staffing of the
studio from PC/Sega Saturn development to Sony Playstation development.
I was also responsible for evaluating outsourcing companies and in-coming
products for the company.
* Responsible for converting studio to PSX Development.
* Produced 6 New Namco concepts in 3 months.
* Helped to evaluate outside studios for Namco.
* Helped to secure Treasures of the Deep from Black-Ops.
* Lead Game Designer on Pac-Man Ghost Zone.
* Managed production funding approval.
* Managed a production staff of 17.
* Help to design world builder tool for project.
* Namco Japan's consultant to Rhythm and Hughes
Manager of Interactive Design
February 1995 - June 1996
San Luis Obispo, CA
I was brought in as Manager of Interactive Design by Sherry McKenna, Lorne
Lanning and venture capital group CPTV to come up with a game play system
for the studios first game product Abes Oddysee.
* Established the game play system for Abes Oddysee.
* Designed (4) worlds of game play for the product.
Lead Designer and Design Coordinator
February 1994 - June 1995 (1 year 5 months)
I joined Alexandria, Inc. as Lead Designer on Izzy’s Quest, the mascot
character game for the 1996 Olympics, published by US Gold (Now EIDOS).
Later promoted to Design Coordinator of all productions at the company.
* Lead Game Designer on Izzy for the 1996 Olympics.
* Level Designer on Max Mayhem (NP)
* Managed all designers for the studio.
The owners of Alexandria CPTV asked me to move over to help launch
Oddworld Inhabitants, a new start-up also owned by CPTV at the time.
January 1995 - January 1995 (1 month)
Evaluated most of the current hand-held games on the market and consult on
future trends in this area. Only a one month contract.
Movie Screenplay Consultant.
September 1994 - October 1994 (2 months)
Contracted to evaluate the movie script for Cutthroat Island and provide
Manager of Design
September 1993 - December 1993 (4 months)
I was brought in to manage game design for non-PC products for the company
by the President. Was laid off with most of the staff in department shortly after
they were bought out by MicroPros.
* Designed two proposals for Star Trek lic.
* Consulted on VR project.
* Consulted on game play on outside project from PF Magic.
Senior Game Designer
October 1991 - September 1993 (2 years)
I was the first game designer ever employed in-house by Virgin Games US
and helped to build and train the design staff during the early 1990’s. I also
was the design lead on Global Gladiators (3rd Party Game of the Year), the
award winning Cool Spot for Genesis/SNES and senior designer on Aladdin
for Sega Genesis (4K Units Sold/ Developed in less than 4 months)
* First Game Designer employed by Virgin Games US.
* Helped to create the Design Group with David Bishop.
* Co-Managed all designers for the studio.
* Did first pass designs on many products for License approval.
* Senior Game Designer of Aladdin (Genesis).
* Lead Designer of Cool Spot (Genesis/SNES)
* Lead Designer of Global Gladiator (Genesis).
* Did the GDD for Jungle Book and many other products.
* Help to design the tile world builder tool tUME.
Astra System Software.
Lead Game Designer/ Programmer
February 1988 - September 1990 (2 years 8 months)
* Help to start new game development group.
* Designer/ Programmer of Dweaby's Quest.
* Designer/ Programmer of Legends the Tower of Doom.
* Designer/ Programmer of Legends 2 The Underworld.
Corona Micro / Elcom Systems
Lead Game Designer/ Programmer
January 1985 - November 1987 (2 years 11 months)
* Help Start Shareware Game Division.
* Designer/ Programmer of Caves of the Trolls.
* Designer/ Programmer of Sub-Wars.
* Designer/ Programmer of Dungeon Quest.
* Designer/ Programmer of Micro Art.
Designer/ Programmer and Artist
January 1983 - July 1983 (7 months)
* Created the Game Diamond Hunter for Atari 8-Bit.