My name is William Anderson and I was the first dedicated Game Designer ever employed in the United States in 1991, working for Virgin Games in Irvine, California. I have been a game developer, Product Manager, and senior designer for over three decades now, having worked in-house for many of the top developers and publishers in the world. I’m also a US and international business consultant, designer, writer and ghostwriter, contributing game development articles to industry books and websites.
I first started designing and programming video games back in the 1980’s when I was making strategy games for the Atari 8-Bit computer systems, and through the natural course of evolution graduated up to the Atari 16-Bit computers when they came out.
But I really got my big break in in-house game development when employed by Virgin Games in Irvine, CA in early 1991.
I was the first Game Designer ever hired by Virgin Games, for having a dedicated person assigned to just developing the game design for a product was unheard of at that time, but it really paid off when “Global Gladiators, the first game I designed for the company went on to receive a lot of acclaim and to become Sega’s 3rd Party Game of the Year.
From there I would go on to design the game play for “Cool Spot”, “Jungle Book” and the block-buster “Aladdin”, which to date holds the record for the shortest development time for a hit console title, that being less than 4 months and the most sales on a single platform, over 4-million units worldwide and also became Game of the Year.
Later I would go on to lead the game play development on "Abes Oddysee"
And then over to CAPCOM to be Senior Game Designer on "Maximo Ghost to Glory", the 3D re-envisioning of CAPCOM's Classic Ghouls 'n Ghost.
Other Games I've Worked On
( Just follow the links to each of my different game design archives )
- Domino Rally - Contract Game Designer / Pyntail / iOS
- Melting Point - Senior Game Designer / Psycraft / iOS / Android
- Babes vs Robots - Contract Level Design / Pyntail / iOS
- Cold Energy - Contract Senior Game Designer / Keystone Games (Taiwan) / Xbox 360
- MuMU Hug - Contract Senior Game Designer / Keystone Games (Taiwan) / Nintendo DS
- Vacation Isle - Senior Game Designer / FarSight Studios / Nintendo Wii (Balance Board)
- Hotel for Dogs - Senior Game Designer / FarSight Studios / Nintendo Wii / DS
- Pinball Hall of Fame - Assistant Producer & Pinball Machine Tech / FarSight Studios / PS2
- NFL Rush Zone - Designed 3D Stadiums and Locker Room / FarSight Studios / Leapster
- Hard Rock Casino - Assistant Producer / FarSight Studios / Playstation 2
- Game Party - Senior Game Designer / Midway / Nintendo Wii
- Game Party 2 - Concept Designer / Midway / Nintendo Wii
- Game Party 3 - Concept Designer / Midway / Nintendo Wii
- Scarface - Combat Area Level Designer/ FarSight Studios / Sony PSP
- Daxter - Senior Game Designer / Ready at Dawn Studios / Sony PSP
- Gauntlet - Senior Game Designer (World Development) / Midway San Diego
- Army Men Sarges War - Contract Level Designer/ 3DO / GameCube/ PS2 / Xbox / PC
- Maximo - Senior Game Designer/ Capcom/ 2001 / Playstation 2
- Abes Oddysee - Senior Game Play Designer / Oddworld / Playstation
- Izzy’s Quest - Lead Game Designer / Alexandria / Sega Genesis / SNES
- Aladdin - Senior Game Designer / Virgin Games / Sega Genesis
- The Jungle Book - Lead Game Designer / Virgin Games / Sega Genesis
- Cool Spot - Lead Game Designer / Virgin Games / Sega Genesis / SNES
- Global Gladiators - Lead Game Designer / Virgin Games / Sega Genesis
- Out of the World - Consultant Designer / Virgin Games / Sega Genesis
- RoboCop vs The Terminator - Game Design & Level Designer / Virgin Games / Sega Genesis
- The Terminator - Consultant Designer / Virgin Games / Sega Genesis
- Dweabys Quest - Designer/Programmer/Artist / Atari 8-Bit
- Legends - Designer/Programmer/Artist / Atari 8-Bit
- Legends II - Designer/Programmer/Artist / Atari 8-Bit